...And the hibiscus thrived and the birds sang (a metaphor for digging deep for change)

Today, I planted a hibiscus plant my daughter got for free.  It was sitting in the corner of her yard not far from a For Sale sign, but then her house sold within a week.  Cheers for them, I know, but it wasn't good timing for the poor hibiscus plant living in limbo. The new house won't be available for four months, but isn't perfect timing rare when there are big changes in your world?

I wasn't sure what to do with it, but I was pretty sure its chance of survival increased greatly if I could attend better than a mom with two kids in the midst of parenting, packing, moving in 40 days, managing a team at work, and taking classes. At first, I looked for a spot in my yard that I could just water it well in the same pot I received it. 

My original plan was to plop it somewhere in my garden. Not really familiar with the needs of a hibiscus, I did a minimal Google search. I could supply the basic needs: sun, water, and keeping the soil loose at the top.  Since I wanted to give this back to my daughter looking bigger and better than when I had received it, my best bet for that was to plant it in my garden.


If I'd thought better, I'd have prepared better. 
Let me just say that like most projects, both large and small, that it took more time and effort than I thought. I went out not dressed for the encounter I'd experience and came back in fully sweat soaked with dirty clothes and water logged shoes. 

Purple work gloves and rake claw in hand, I began removing the grass from the spot I knew it would thrive best.  But darn it; it wasn't easy.  First, I had to stay clear of the drainage pipe I'd uncovered and then clear the Zoysia! I took that rake cultivator claw thingy and dug and pulled and dug and threw away roots. Then I turned the rake in another direction and dug and pulled and dug to get all of the same roots. 

Zoysia grows sideways, sending out little runners more than it grows tall. That makes it dense and very effective at choking out other grass and plants. It's hardy and grows in a wide range of conditions; not much tending is needed for it to grow.

With sweat rolling down my nose and back, I stepped back to look at the area that I had nicely cleared. Disheartened, I was. It wasn't at all large enough for the plant size. So I took that rake cultivator claw thingy again and dug and pulled and dug and threw away roots. Then I turned the rake in another direction and dug and and pulled and dug to get all of the same roots. Fast forward through having done that many more times. 


It's planted now. I wanted to quit a few times, but I also wanted to get all the roots far away from the hibiscus today.  I'm tired now, but I promised myself to come out again to work just as hard at clearing more of the roots away. It's going to take constant vigilance to keep those sneaky little roots from winding around my hibiscus. 

The birds are singing at the exposed dirt, and the hibiscus has a chance to thrive. 


I'm sharing the blatant metaphors that spoke to me while sweat poured down my nose. Maybe, you're tending to a garden, too, so read it again and let it reveal what it will. 

  • It never feels easy or feels like it's good timing to begin rooting out our negative things.
  • Things take more time and more work than we may want to put in sometimes.
  • Expose the dirt; it's the easiest way to make a space for beautiful things to grow in.
  • We need to be intentional and vigilant in digging through and pulling out our thoughts and actions that become a choke hold on others. 
  • We're going to get tired. Be gracious with yourself.
  • We are all responsible and needed to help each other thrive even if it's time consuming and hard.
  • Things may look good on the outside, but it's the inner strength of character that's required to pull the stifling roots of the weeds from our hearts and souls that will make a lasting difference.
  • Even when our basic needs are met, something deeper in our roots needs to be freed for us to thrive.
  • Oppressive roots grow deep and wide; be sure they are not suffocating the life of others.
  • Recognize and defend wholeheartedly any affront or abuse to any black man or woman, any policeman or woman, any poor man or woman, any white man or woman because it is an affront to ourselves within humanity.
Keep gardening, and may the hibiscus thrive and the birds sing!



Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for the metaphor. It is an empowering message that we all have a role to play. We all have the power to be an agent of change to stand against racial discrimination. I am learning that is o.k. to stretch, be diligent, and not to be afraid. Love you sis.
Candice Conner said…
Great analogy! I hope you get beautiful blooms for your effort!