The LITTLE movie every guy needs to see about WOMEN


https://images.app.goo.gl/yNNm2jdm4wfTekDp7

Nearly 30 years ago while teaching sixth grade, I assigned two young men to a reading group to which they quickly balked upon viewing the title. One father adamantly interfered saying his boy was not reading a book meant for girls. I daresay, if all young men would read, discuss, and take heed to the words in Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, the world would be a better place. Maybe, seeing the movie would be a sufficient start to her words that are good models for the society we want to be.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AST2-4db4ic

“I like good strong words that mean something…”

There's still the struggle today to get men to listen, read, support, and champion the ideas of women. 

“Amy's lecture did Laurie good, though, of course, he did not own it till long afterward. Men seldom do, for when women are the advisers, the lords of creation don't take the advice till they have persuaded themselves that it is just what they intended to do. Then they act upon it, and, if it succeeds, they give the weaker vessel half the credit of it. If it fails, they generously give her the whole.”

It's wise for young men to begin to tackle the quandary of young women. Young women may read it for encouragement and confirmation of their own struggles, but the words will help young men to begin to understand a woman's expectations. Men might even find empathy in the struggles of these women. They may find these expectations and hopes and dreams are not very different than that of any man. Yet, they will also recognize that for women achieving these similar aspirations is monumentally more difficult, even still today. 

The novel wholeheartedly admits all the glorious whims of our feminine nature: vanity, silence, compulsivity,  anger, aggressiveness, joy, passion. 

“Watch and pray, dear, never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault.”

It touches all areas of our creativity: painting, writing, drama, singing, acting, and speaking.

Understanding all of this makes men better equipped to respect the nature, potential, desires, and value of women!

“I don't pretend to be wise, but I am observing, and I see a great deal more than you'd imagine. I'm interested in other people's experiences and inconsistencies, and, though I can't explain, I remember and use them for my own benefit.”

If you want to see a romantic movie, take your guy to see Little Women. It will save them a lot of Hallmark time.  I dare say that helping a woman to grow into all her gifting will grab her heart more than cuddles on the couch.  Every woman wants wings to follow her dreams and desires. 

“I want to do something splendid...something heroic or wonderful that won't be forgotten after I'm dead. I don't know what, but I'm on the watch for it and mean to astonish you all someday.” 

Women want the freedom to discover their own unique paths. 
“I've got the key to my castle in the air, but whether I can unlock the door remains to be seen.”

Women want their gifts admired. They want to be encouraged to pursue them. They need to be believed in, despite their own disbelief at times.

"...for it's always pleasant to be believed in; and a friend's praise is always sweeter than a dozen newspaper puffs.”

Who doesn't want to catch her man see more than physical beauty but value the entirety of her beauty at age 20 or 50 or 70?  

“How beautiful that is!" said Laurie softly, for he was quick to see and feel beauty of any kind.”

Who doesn't want a man telling her at any age that she is the best person he knows and loving her art and passion even if he doesn't understand it. 

“Gentlemen, be courteous to the old maids, no matter how poor and plain and prim, for the only chivalry worth having is that which is the readiest to  pay deference to the old, protect the feeble, and serve womankind, regardless of rank, age, or color.”

Louisa May Alcott's words inspire us to cultivate and support one another, to strive to learn from our mistakes to develop greater character, strength, and creativity;  and to be generous with our kindness. Those are goals for all men and women of all generations.

“Simple, sincere people seldom speak much of their piety; it shows itself in acts rather than words, and has more influence than homilies or protestations.”


Comments

Thank you for your piece. What a joy to see this movie with my mother. For some reason, I'm reminded of an inspirational quote from a female artist that epitomizes what being a woman has been like for me and what I aspire to - “I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.” - Georgia O'Keeffe