DRESS FOR THE WEATHER



The bright sunshine didn't creep through the gap in the curtains today. Beyond the curtain, the grey sky ocean view made me think cold. I don't like cold. I avoid my bones becoming painfully numb.

With no one walking the beach, I figured it surely must be cold. I read my feelings right into the day and painted the coastal scene dark.

What if the bleakness didn't really mean it was cold outside, and I could enjoy the walk that I had mentally planned.  Experience has taught me a thing or two, so I knew that was a beach dreamer's fading wish.

But wait! What if I just dressed for the weather. It wouldn't be exactly the same as I had envisioned before I opened my eyes, but I could walk the shoreline, search out my heron friend, and hear the waves hit the shore....



Sometimes this happens with the people in our lives. We expect one behavior from a friend, but receive a "cold" greeting. We don't like cold greetings. We like to avoid those that drip dreary on us.

Sometimes behind their eyes, the grey curtain of anguish keeps the sun from shining through.

But wait! What if we dressed for the encounter?  Clothed with mercy and humility, we can walk toward our friends instead of away, search for their hearts, and stand through the emotional waves....

Experience has taught me a thing or two. I know that being genuine and vulnerable seem risky, but it's the path that a lasting friendship weathers.



Comments