LEARNING TO BE CONTENT


The tragic events happening in the world just keep emotionally piling on.  I asked myself, "Does it have to get worse?" Is this feeling that strangles my heart raw, at times, at each next tragic event uniquely the culture of an aging heart?

When I was younger, adults scoffed bemoaning comments about the world going to hell in a handbasket. In my life, I want to counteract this pervasive hopeless feeling? How can I contribute to a solution and not sink into a swamp that seizes still my heart?  How can I navigate through the morass of destitution and despair?

To survive this cultural tragedy of feeling hopeless in the face of world events and still be motivated to work toward solutions, I'm going to hang on to the Scripture of Phil 4:11-13.  The fundamental underpinnings of my faith in tomorrow arise from this Scripture.

   
     I'm not saying this because I need anything. I have learned to be content no
     matter what happens to me. I know what it's like not to have what I need.  
     I also know what it's like to have more than I need.  I have learned the secret
     of being content no matter what happens.  I am content whether I am well 
     fed or hungry. I am content whether I have more than enough or not enough. 
     I can do ALL things by the power of Christ.  He gives me strength.

I'm learning to smooth the flurry of tragic sensations with a different target. My one true aim needs to be His contentment not my achievements or the world's solutions. The challenge of choosing contentment in difficult situations is defining it in terms of His joy, peace, and gratitude.

Hold on! I'm not saying I'm content with the tragic events reeling daily on the news, nor am I throwing my hands in the air in inability to affect change.  However, it's vital for my spiritual survival and strength that my focus be on my heart response rather than on accomplishments and solutions I see or don't see.

In ALL things, I choose to be content regardless of the current climate's results and outcomes. I don't have to be content with the way the events in the world are unfolding, but rather with ALL these things going on, I will still choose to seek joy, find peace, and express gratitude regardless of the efforts' outcomes. "In ALL things" really translates "no matter if I am brought low or high in circumstances" or "no matter if I am desperate or hopeful"  or "no matter if I see an answer or not."

With this as a foundation, I don't have to lack motivation to work toward solutions or see things as falling into utter ruination because I'm no longer finding success in an achievement but in Christ's accomplishments.  This releases me to know that my ALL perspective with which I see these unfolding heartbreaking situations is enough because being CONTENT IN ALL glorifies the One who is enough for all trials and tribulations. 



Comments