ROCKIN' IT LIKE A ROCK STAR IN DC

My friend said with this look she
wouldn't want to mess with me.
I didn't feel CONFIDENT at all, but I decided to go for it. 

That is----I decided to ride the metro in Washington, D.C. ALONE and walk to several different businesses in various neighborhoods ALONE!  

Armed ahead of time with my trips mapped out, I decided perhaps the key was blending in. That required looking the part of a metro rider, someone coming and going with a purpose, a clear objective.

The first leg of the metro trip,  I think I rocked it! I face paced walked to the station, coasted confidently to my seat, relaxed with my phone like everyone else seemed to do, and exited the doors without event as they opened at the station.
Cute SF store front

However, I didn't fare as well figuring out which way to walk to the first business. Thank goodness for Google Maps.

At one point, a lady stopped me for directions. I guess I looked like I knew where I was going. I was just thinking of clarifying directions with her. Yet, I was able to point her to her street. 

Since I felt somewhat successful on my venture to and from these three neighborhoods, I decided to spend the later part of the afternoon strolling the DC mall with a Starbucks classic chai. I already felt like a rock star because I conquered my metro ALONE fear, walk unknown neighborhoods ALONE fear, and visit unknown businesses fear. 


I wanted to sit right next to these.
These smelled so good!
I strolled the mall, people watched and conversation eavesdropped, soaked up sunshine while reading a bit, and conversed with the capitol police all under a sixty degree sunshine blue sky near the Botanical Garden and Congress. I found proof of life (spring) and delicious smells. 

Walking alone back to my hotel, at the end of this excursion, this bit of fun banter popped up when I passed a group of slow walking people. (I almost always walk fast, but I was stealthily trying to slide around and through various groups of meandering people.)

This conversation was my second feeling like a rock star moment for the day:

Guy: 
Seriously, your glasses make you look like a rock star! 

Me: 
That sky! That blue sky!  That blue sunshine sky!
(At the point I realize this twenty something guy strolling with his dad who I've been trying to slide by is actually speaking to me, I grasp for something to say. Might as well play along with his enthusiasm. )You mean it only takes a $7.99 pair of sunglasses to look like a rock star?

Guy: 
Well, your CONFIDENCE goes well, too (sly smile).

Me: 
Well, thanks! (I had just been scolded by my friends in a group text to learn to take a compliment with a "thanks.")

So while I don't put much confidence in my sunglasses making me look like a rock star, the compliment was nice. The lecture on saying thanks showed me how to confidently navigate that conversation.  This gentleman's words were the second reminder of the day of the huge part that confidence plays in how we appear to handle life's situations.

I was thankful for being reminded that the desire to achieve  requires dedication. I won't always feel confident. I may have knocking knees and a doubting mind. It seems that big or small accomplishments in any arena of life need a motivation that might appear on the outside to look like resolute determination but might certainly fall far shy of that feeling on the inside.

So, this day's intimation of what I place my confidence in is important to reflect upon. It might seem my confidence is placed in external things like Google Maps and some cool black sunglasses, but rest assured, it is a far deeper resolute conviction that allows me to overcome some of my insecurity and fears:


              I am convinced and confident of this very thing, that He
             who has begun a good work in you will continue to perfect
             and complete it until the day of Christ Jesus.--Phil. 1:6

Comments