MY PURSE: A METAPHOR FOR PURSE= UING GOD. (THE CONTENTS!)

PART  II

I would suppose over the last year  my mantra or big pursuit has had to do with this verse:  The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.  I came that they may have life and have it more abundantly (John 10:10)

If we were meant to have life abundant then  I challenged God to show me how to pursue this life.

When my heart exhaustion started sighing, “I don’t need this,”  I thought there had to be something that I was missing.

Metaphorically, my purse was a miniature life, and it surely appeared abundant. Like my life, it was crammed full, compartmentalized, and  organized to make the days easier. There were days of triple bags: purse, work bag, gym bag.

Is my purse a metaphor for my pursuit of God?

The clutter I cling to in my purse every day resembles my life.

Lists:  My notepad actually reads to do now or later. These lists are the immediate needs to meet the demands of my family, my home, my church, my job, my activities versus those that could possibly wait.  They are my desires versus my needs. Yet, they are also my hope to accomplish versus the pipe dreams. They are the should do and  must do. They are the many expectations that take precedence for the day placed my myself and many others.

Keys: I have a large set of keys on a lanyard that my husband refuses to carry when he borrows my car keys.  He will take off just the car key to use. My three work keys are color coded for ease of use in dark corridors. They are the tool to unlock my house, my garage, my car, my classroom, almost any door in the school, and my sister’s house. These are the key to getting into the places I need to be. These indicate areas I am in charge of. These keys speed  me along in life at a blinding pace to get everything done, time and again.
Maybe we  hold the keys to too much?

Wallet: I have a small organizer within the larger purse.  I often hope that compartmentalizing my life will help me survive with greater ease, manage each small area with less time consumption. Maybe this tactic just creates more places to clutter, to distract, to manage, to improve, to review.

Credit cards and money and gift cards:  Oh the Capital One commercial comes to mind:  What’s in your wallet?  I usually don’t have cash, but  having things comes at a price, and I have to pay it.  Only when I have a Starbucks gift card, do I allow myself to entertain the idea of chai tea latte.  With money and credit, I gain access to things and places. The receipts evidence purchases that indicate what I value.

Driver’s license: This is my allowance to go places, to gain access to airports and train stations.  It is proof of identity and existence, and yet it is an opportunity for identity theft.

Pictures: I carry these to remember my life’s stories, continuing love and laughter created through memories.

Lipstick: This is the one item I don’t leave home without.  Admittedly, it is vanity in a tube.  Oh, how vain and shallow are the words that come from these colored and decorated lips. May my words never be decorated to disguise the truth. May my bold lips speak words of sustenance and life and remain mute to guard grace.

Cell phones: This is a mini life preserver or absorber within my life. It carries answers, directions, documents, contacts, work, games, books, and coupons. It keeps track of my walking, my spending, my photos, and my mail.  Cozi organizes my life and Facebook keeps me socially connected to everyone I want. At a finger’s texting, I can communicate to resolve problems or find out where I am when I am lost. Through speaking, I can negotiate directions, write a text, and get answers to questions from an unknown person.  I can call anywhere in the country for the same price and speak to my best friend for four hours, sharing our lives stories, closest emotions, worries, and laughs.

Make up: I often try to clean myself up a little before leaving my house, putting on a touch of make-up.  Cover stick covers the chicken pox scar under my nose.  Blush and a little lipstick make the my color come alive, and mascara helps my eyes appear awake.  I am encouraged to remember that a little cosmetic enhances features and a lot of make-up covers who I am.   This is the real me and my real life, my real mistakes, my real goals, and my real hopes that I present to God and others. Yet, when I try hard to create the look I think others desire, all the while I am not PRESENT but PRESENTED, and this is not a life that is real.

Measuring tape: When I asked ladies on Facebook what they carried in their purse, my best friend’s resounding first response was a measuring tape. After my teasing, she responded, “What doesn’t everyone?” She carries a full size measuring tape for home repair or projects.  She is a clever crafter,  determined decorator, and fancies fixing-it, always trying to help others solve problems. Who and what are we positioning ourselves to repair?  What are we building for His Kingdom?

Pens:  I love the smooth slide of a pen across paper. WORDS!  Those spoken, written, and unsaid.  Words I recorded in my heart and in my journal, some to keep and others to post.  It has been a hard few years of words spoken to me, words that have seared into a bare heart. 

Glasses/Sunglasses: There is nothing more frustrating that not being able to see clearly or needing to squint through the day.  I barely need glasses, but with fine print eyes falter.  Glasses help me see people and circumstances more clearly, without blurred sight of judgment and condescension, but with mercy and compassion.

Tissues: Life is messy, gently wipe to clean it up.

Breath mints/gum/perfume: I like to present a first good impression to the world.  Some see it as covering up the bad, while others see it as an invitation to gather closer. We have a choice really as what we will project to others.  What message do you first present with your presence?

There are many other random objects in my purse I think I MIGHT need to survive.  It is a life survival package. Hey, I know a woman who carries spare underwear in there.

But when we are holding so tightly to these things, we don’t realize the need to be held close.

Some days I just want to travel light, to dump my purse, to clean out all the unnecessary that weighs me down and keeps me bound to it. I need to minimize the contents to only the essential. In my purse and in my life, I become conflicted and weary by the heavy journey. I can carry baggage in my life for days, for years, for why?
Stop holding on so tightly to what’s around and  just be held by God.

What are life’s bare essentials?  And how do I bare a heart and soul to what is essential?

MAYBE I SHOULD JUST STICK TO THE BASICS OF MY PURSUIT IN MY PURSE.

We throw guilt, blame, shame, games, living restless, wilderness wandering, hopeful hangovers into our purses and grow weary from the heavy burdens.

We fear the contents of our bags, our lives, slipping from our hands so we grasp tightly with hands that should be emptied to raise in praise. 

Is it the pursuit of a dream we fear losing that causes us to cling?  Sometimes, we cling to the baggage that is the pursuit of purpose, or expectations, or a place, or a person. Those weight us down until we fall down and give up.   We hold hard to the pictures and plans of a life we always thought we would be living.

Perhaps, our purses and lives need some clearing out.   Let’s go back to the fearless, childish days before we committed to carry all these “necessities,” before we held tight for fear of losing a life of importance and valuables.

So here it i:  just throw in the purse…give it up…stop carrying it. Stop the shame, the guilt, the doubt, the restlessness, the pain, the false valuing, the empty commitment… and purs-ue  God and His guarantee of abundance.

Pursuing God is a filling up with the pursuit of trust. Lining our purse and aligning our lives so that we act like what we believe is true:  that God is alive and living in us and wants us to be in His presence and know that He is enough right now even in our less than perfect circumstances. This is the life of pursue=ing of God, not the running and chasing and trying to be better and have more and be more, but the letting Him pursue us, letting  Him step in and clear out all but what is necessary, and us allowing Him to do so. It is the pursuit of trust in Him.


Then what are the key contents being placed back into our purses, into our  purse=ing God?

Comments