THE OFFERING OF A KISS

Sitting at the end of the couch, I tighten the grey flannel cover around me on this cold November evening, less than one week before we gather around a table giving thanks for all that we are daily given.

Homework complete, my senior boy loads his heavy backpack and stand stretches to stare his last look at the football action on TV, and with a"goodnight,"  he turns to make way to the stairs. But with a slow halt in step, he stops and steps back where I sit reclined on the couch. He slow leans, long, and positions his cheek before my lips with a "goodnight" benediction, waiting for my lips to give him a final kiss goodnight. 

I  smile kiss the stubble cheek offered me by my 18 year old man-boy. And I am suspended in time. I am captured by my raw emotions  that whirl at the awe of his gesture.  He has no idea how one simple cheek leaned toward his mom tonight warms my insides. 

My memory quickens to a soft kiss on the cheek of my sleeping baby being held closely in my arms while rocking him to sleep. I suspend emotion in time. That kiss that held me still then is the kiss the holds me still now; the memory holds my throat tight with slow tears welling. Those tender-touch memories faded to toddler kisses: lip-bumps on rosy running busy lips, as many as you please kisses with games of giggles, soothe the sob and sore knees kisses.  


And the truth is that I have little description for what those offerings of kisses do to me.  This strong heart beats faint. They unwind my emotions of gratitude and weave them with the gentle reminders of time's fury beating: tick, tick, tick. 




And I am gut-wrench grateful that he leans his cheek. 



Sensing that he purposes to bless me with his kiss races my heart. Suspending his busy to blend a moment of his world with mine creates this destiny dizzy love. This not at all necessary act that he chose to make paramount becomes blessing in the offered gift. 

And this kiss becomes a simple revelation: 
This is how I bless God

I bless God when I lean long and intentionally toward Him and allow him to touch my life with His lips of grace. Oh, don't I know that He waits to kiss my life; it's a written promise on our hearts that it will always be given. Don't I know the mere offering floods a deep well of smiles.  Don't I know I bless God with my offering. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my gosh can I ever relate to this!! I cherish those moments when Lane just comes up from behind and gives a hug even if it does strangle me. Any small thing means so much because you just never know when it will happen. When it does happen you feel great for hours after because it must mean you still matter. It has to be his idea or it's totally not cool. It's just nice to be reminded once in awhile that your still loved by your little boy that's quickly growing into manhood. As mom's we try hard not to embarrass them in front of their friends and it leaves you wondering just when is it okay to hug them and kiss them on the cheek? Plus they're finally figuring out part of being a man is showing affection to those you love. I guess from all of that it makes us appreciate those special moments when it does happen even more. Very well said as always Cheri! Lori
Anonymous said…
The lump in my throat hurts...I am crying beautiful. Love, Peggy
Anonymous said…
I got half way through your writing and burst into tears. Read another sentence and bawled. If someone every asks me what I love in life best I am going to tell them a kiss or hug from my children and grandchildren. Just a little thing that keeps me sane. You wrote so tenderly about this that it burst my heart open. The one I try to keep closed so I don't appear to needy when I see you all. Thanks for your gift to all or us. Not to be greedy but more please. Always Ma