THE WARRIOR STILL BATTLES (a note for Lane)

To the warrior who has for four years with heart and soul and body accepted the charge of weekly battle to stand at the line and hold back the storm.  And the warrior tackled to the ground lying still will still stand at a line.  For his real strength was never just in his body rising to face the next play, but the strength of spirit he lead the team with in his never giving up his heart to play.  

His spirit still stands each game on the field  at a line, now fortified by the body and soul of another.   And now his heart for his team still stands strong at a side line with fist clinging fierceness to raise a banner that cannot be taken down, a banner that says I WILL STILL BATTLE WITH YOU BROTHER. He is our wounded warrior that continues to battle in spirit from the sidelines. You are the warrior that pushes those weak legs and hearts on the field with your yelling lungs and your leading spirit.    



He doesn't listen to well meaning pleas that football isn't everything. FOOTBALL IS EVERYTHING, for you have given everything.  It is waging a mental war within and physical war on the field.  It is no excuses, sacrifice, commitment, honor, brotherhood. It is forever. It is real, it is now, and today it is ALL.  It is ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL. 

For the one that got knocked down and out, you are NOT out.  


--- Holding the line with you Lane---Cherie Roberson
I know this is one mom's voice, but your team and their families stand with you!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't think you can ever know how much this means to us. What a gift you have given with your words today. Thank you isn't enough to express my gratitude to you for loving and caring about my son as much as you have.
Much love to you!
Your friend, Lori
Ric said…
Very nicely said. His "warrior"mentality was proven during the game he sustained his injury. Playing on after the hit and trying to play though the pain and damage. He has always been a leader on the field for that team. We pray for a full recovery once again. Thank you Lane for all the enjoyable moments over the years with our sons. Thank you Bear for your thoughts on paper.
Anonymous said…
What a great letter to honor Lane. He sounds like an amazing young man. His ability to stand strong in the field and give it his all will bring him to other "fields" in this amazing wolrd we all live in, that will need his perserverance and guidance. And yes Cher it means so much to have someone honor you with your words. A gift from the "spirit. Beautifully said. Love Ma
Anonymous said…
What power words have. I love imagining that I am this beloved young man Lane, and that I am reading your words. I do not know him, but I know these words would allow the tears of the truth his beautiful being to flow like a river. There is NO greater gift from a writer than that. - Chrissy McClarren
Anonymous said…
I cannot edit the above comment, so I will repeat it in its corrected form: "What power words have. I love imagining that I am this beloved young man Lane, and that I am reading your words. I do not know him, but I know these words would allow the tears of the truth of his beautiful being to flow like a river. There is NO greater gift from a writer than that. - Chrissy McClarren"
Lane is just out of surgery and looking down the road of recovery.