AT ARM'S LENGTH IS CLOSE ENOUGH


Is keeping God at arm's length close enough? Being within arms' length is scary close; it is  risky close. No mediator need plead who I am to You. This close needs not eyes to search my face, for masks and disguises are discovered.

Oh to be discovered by the eyes of an embracing God.

For when my God sees me face to face, He is close enough to see my eyes fall or rise.

        Will  I  stay to face what He says about me?


close enough to raise my chin

        Will I believe what He believes about me?


close enough to count the breathes I hold

        Can I let go of what I hold tightly to my chest?


close enough to feel my quivers of sadness

        Can I release the sad in exchange for His joy?

close enough to rub the pain of bruises

        Will I stop remembering my trails of tears?


close enough to sense my confusion and wonder

        Can I ask fewer questions to hear Him speak?


close enough to hear quiet mumbled words

        Will he know my thoughts before I speak?


close enough to realize that avoidance begs distractions

        Will all that He gives be my satisfaction? 


close enough to be shaken awake

        Can I live a life that sees the beauty in the messy?


close enough to be held tight in place

        Will my begging heart be still?


close enough to command attention without words

        Can I rest in Him?


close enough to relay a whisper

        Will my words express all of my heart?


close enough to be overcome with emotion

        Will I let go of my control for His will?


close enough to be overwhelmed by desire

        Will I love without abandon?
        

close enough to embrace the allusion that He is not close

        Will I touch His heart so to live who He created me to be?


 close enough that escape is costly.

At arm's length, His crossed arms pointing east to west are never in denial of us. With our arms risen and hands open wide, we beg from arms length for Him to draw us close. The God that seems far away is close at hand; He drives our nails into His cross and binds our heart to purchase our pain. With His arms spanned, He exposes the distance of my life from His---- the cross is the arm length a God would endure to pull me back into his love. When His close heart beats and He encloses me in His arms, Heaven breathes deep. 


If I keep God  at His arm's length, I am enveloped in His life and that is close enough.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So expresses His LOVE! I felt your words.
Anonymous said…
A yearning, a searching and He is always with us. I hear Him best when I am walking in the park looking up at the trees, when I am able to be quiet and know who I am. When I let my spirit sing to Him. And still I can forget Him for days only to be reminded by some precious soul that brings me home. Love you Mom