COME HOME TO STAY













Silent chaos captures my heart,
Keeping tears from spilling becomes an art.
How can I change our "divided we"
Right from that shotgun seat?
No way words would speak 
The wishes, no magic was going to complete.

Those final moments sitting on the leather
Trying to make moments spent together
Seem like a new normal, 
But they feel like a wrinkled formal,
Before the long sidewalk walk 
To drop off for front-door talk.

Tennis shoe rubber marks the short path
Every single day since he went away.
Wondering if tomorrow 
Could turn back to bygone yesterdays.
His strong hand caressing my head
Leads me to the life I live instead.

The low hum of his car baits 
My faint heart begins to hate
The return of his grip on the wheel.
Wishing the car from which he'll 
Lean, wave, and drive away 
Will soon come home to stay.

Comments

rose mcclarren said…
Wow Very interesting. such sorrow. I love to follow your writing. I haven't been doing any my self. I don't seem to have as much to write about now that I'm 75. Strange isn't it.
Send me some of your favorites. I would like to know which ones you enjoy that you have written.
I hope I see you Friday. I love you
Ma