I'M COUNTING ON THOSE LUCKY SOCKS, TOO!



Fifteen minutes before football season game two, from the top row of the bleachers at the 50 yard line, my eyes sought my son's maneuvers during his pregame warm-up routine. Behind the scenes, I too continued my pre-game warm-up routine which always begin as I awaken on Friday mornings during football season--prayers for safety. As I watched, my eyes stopped, struck by the shocking sight of his socks. Dingy, drab, poorly washed, non-bleached, hole in heals, (and whatever other synonyms I can conjure),Nike, just do it socks.  

My racing mind tabulated that I had washed those. Wait--I had even bleached them. I thought they were horrid at the time I put them in his laundry pile next to the dozen pair of pure white ones.  Why hadn't I hid those?  Of all the socks lying on the counter in the laundry room (which seems to be his first storage for all his clothes instead of his closet and drawers we gave him), he chose those?  The grey ones in contrast to the white of his uniform pants had to be the socks of choice? Were they the official uniform sock? Certainly not, look at all the other guys with head to toe matching white.

I've heard dismay from sons and dads concerning the horrors of moms who have washed the dead animal smelling practice pants before a full week of practice ended.  Don't tamper with football's hard work sweat! But those socks? 

Time waited for me to catch up as I imagined others' comments, "Must have been a busy week in the Roberson house.   Daniel's socks didn't get washed." Maybe to clean the humiliating air, I jokingly confessed to my friend, "Hey can't you take better care of your child, #33, and at least get his socks clean?"

Day 2 Post game:
As only a mom can casually ask and a son read straight through the lines of her conversation, I remarked the next day after folding his again bleached socks,  "Hey, Daniel are those Nike socks your uniform socks?"  Quick, dry, clear response:  "Those are my lucky socks and when they get really holey I will just wear a pair of socks under them."  Quick interpretation:  Don't throw them out for any reason.


Well, I figured the dingy ones were the lucky socks. There it is! They will forever stand out this year on the field. He will stand armored for war each Friday night with dirt and holes.

And then the thought streamed, "What happens if my young man-captain loses a game?" Blessed with a 2-0 start, again and again he will assuredly pull on those socks for another game, win or lose.

They aren't lucky because he wins but because they help him war well. They set his mind and feet sturdy and hopeful. They make him strong and courageous in the face of the oncoming defense.  For he knows his war doesn't start on the field, it starts before the game with what he puts in his heart and mind and soul!  And so his feet are shod with the readiness of peace of mind to battle victoriously to the end no matter the team, the heat, the pain, the size of the enemy camp, the score.

And so for this mom whose battle isn't with the other camp either, whose war begins in the morning and doesn't cease until fatigue worn muscles are iced and massaged, whose screeching "GO" as her son runs the field is really a cheer to outrun the onslaught of the tackle, whose prayer is for victory of spirit and not so much victory by scores, whose heart quietly trickle bleeds along with the soreness and pain of scraped and bruised boys---This mom is counting on those lucky dingy socks, too!



Prep Football: Mahomet-Seymour vs. Prairie Central 2013

         Battle on Daniel, armored well!


Ephesians 6:10-18

New International Version (NIV)

The Armor of God

1Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love this Cherie! I was witness to your discovery of the dingy white socks. I strained my eyes to the field trying to find them. This brought back a memory from the past for me. I remember in CIYFL their 8th grade year. Lane couldn't cut his hair until a game was lost. His hair was out of control. He also couldn't wash his practice jersey. He smelled and looked rough but I understood and let it go. These small things bring us great memories. I too pray every Friday ALL day long. I get the jitters and feel edgy. It's a combination of excitement for them and worry about any injuries. I say a prayer asking God to surround all boys on both teams with Guardian Angels.
Please God Keep Them Safe!

Your friend,
Lori
Anonymous said…
I love this blog. It made me laugh. We worry and fret and then ahhh Daniel wears them for good luck. I especially like the way you present the story with the small details that matter and then we get to make the discovery with you that he will not only wear them but if they are to ragged he will wear another pair over them. It reminds me of how we all hold something especially important whether it is an old bible I got from church as a young child or a wedding ring I couldn't wear but treasured. I use to go look at it and feel better. Socks, bibles, and I imagine an assortment of items we could all share with each other.

Most of all I TREASURE your writing. I want to give you the name of a book I would suggest you read for the sure pleasure of it's simple wisdom and beauty. This book is often suggested ready for high school students. It is called "The Samurai's Garden" by Gail Tsukiyama. Everyone of my reading club without exception adored this book. I love you. Keep writing. Ma