MY PURSE: A METAPHOR FOR PURSE=UING GOD (How the idea began!)

 PART 1: How the idea began!

I was asked to speak before a group of Christian women by a dear wise woman whose genuine pursuit of God I have admired for years. Her confidence in my words undid me as I found myself at a loss for what to impart to women wiser, smarter, and more clear headed than I might currently be. 

When she texted me, she said I could just give one of my lessons I spoke at church from Ann Voskamp’s 1000 Gifts. But the funny true story is that if you speak that into your phone it comes out Ann’s Vodka Camp.  I teased her that I was immediately comforted by the fact that I would be speaking at a place that people might not remember my name or thoughts.  It surely lifted the burden.    
 
Days later, I moaned to another friend that I didn't feel I had any expertise to share.  Who am I that I should be speaking to others?  I ramble thoughts about words and events in life that make me think “Hmmm” here on this blog domain. It is mine alone and given with open invitation for everyone to peruse.

Her response: “But you are an expert at life.” So true.  We all are to a degree aren’t we?  We all have a degree of life that we can share.  And some of us have a master’s degree in certain areas.

MY PURSE--A METAPHOR FOR MY LIFE?
Days later, while driving the long flat three hour stretch of highway to St. Louis, mentally and spiritually preparing to lead an intervention for a woman I care deeply about entangled within the snares and cares of life, I  plunged one hand in my tightly packed purse for a pen to record an idea.  (I have to record them quickly these days. They fly away as quickly as they appear.)

One hand rummaged and one hand held the wheel, one-eye watched the road while one-eye glimpsed the purse, one tasking the other. This confirmed why I hate purses. Because I was mentally frustrated by the empty search for a pen that I had purposely placed in my purse’s inside pocket right next to the lipstick,  I heartily shook all its contents on the seat to reveal the pens.

That’s when the thought occurred to me that this exercise of purging seeming organized contents that I carry with me every day might be more deeply revealing metaphorically something about my life.

I thought of the various types of clutches I have had throughout my life: purses, bags, fanny packs, backpacks, totes, satchels. I thought of the purse I was currently clutching every day. I hate purses and for me to spend money on one was rare, but the one I was using I actually purchased from Thirty-One because I loved its compartments and could get it monogrammed.

Actually, I had been working out of two purses switching the necessary contents back and forth based on which purse I needed for the occasion.  I am somewhat purse bipolar.  Some days, I think I want a little bag, when suddenly the desire for a large dump purse becomes appealing.

Are our purses too big, too small, or just right?  Are they full of compartments or just one big container to dump everything in at random?  Are they made of weave or tough leather?  Are they dainty, frilly, eclectic, sporty, classy?

I thought the baggage I have carried throughout my purse days. Is the baggage neatly organized or over-stuffed. Is it a confused heavy conglomeration wearing ruts in my arms?  Is it full of junk, the necessities, or the just in case stuff.  Is it a mystery holding place, making me wonder just where items went?  Does it fit awkwardly?  Does it seem to match my shoes, my clothes, or even my daily events.

This purse I carry: it is truly a metaphor for the life that I live. 
 

The questions began unraveling in my head:  what clutter do I carry each day in my life, in my pursuit of God? Why do I continue to clutch certain items in my purse and likewise in my life? What could I stop carrying around in my life?  What are the bare necessities? And what is this purse=uing of God supposed to really look like when I already commit to live with God every day? 

Comments