IT'S WHAT I DO


I witnessed that blank stare, quiet cavern of thought barred behind eyes whose floodgates waterfalled over a heavy heart today.

Walking through a crowded hall of elementary students one student stood zombie still as if lost. I am not sure what made me stop to seek his eyes, but with a tilt I confirmed his lifeless stare at his locker as if it scared him to touch it.  

I knew it to be untrue before I asked, but still I suggested, "What's wrong; are you tired?"   With the shake of his head, he resigned the honest truth as it washed across his face. With a closer whisper "Home?" from my mouth and simple arm around his shoulder, his eyes lifted to mine as if we held a secret.  It felt daring to clarify with more, "Did you have a rough morning at home?  With mom?"  With the nod of his head, I witnessed the tears he guarded behind glassy eyes rain down his face. In a quick exchange, I released this one jailed behind his emotions, "It will be okay; I will pray peace for you today."  

During lunch, I asked how his morning went.  He looked up with eyes no longer somber slumbered. "It was good," came his quick reply.  And as I smiled to walk away before his peers could question, he added with a genuine smile as bold as a hug,  "Thank you for praying."

Besides the teaching and discipline, we offer life and hope in our hallways. 

Comments

rose mcclarren said…
That is lovely and heart felt. Keep writing. I love reading what you have to say. Mom