A PUBLIC PRIVATE LOVE

Words that stop me…words that wreck me…
words that hold me…words that bind me...

Today's forecasted  blizzard conditions with record lows outside, the trek to church proved increasingly treacherous for the trip home. 

A small daring group greeted at the doors moved to stand in worship.  Voicing a simple song from a snowbound heart that unexpectedly melted while being pursued by the WORDS of this overwhelming song You Won't Relent!


You won't relent until You have it all,
My heart is Yours (4x)
I'll set You as a seal upon my heart
as a seal upon my arm
For there is love that is as strong as death
Jealousy, demanding as the grave
And many waters cannot quench this love
You won't relent until You, have it all
My heart is Yours
You won't relent until You, have it all
My heart is Yours (2x)
Come be the fire inside of me
Come be the flame upon my heart
Come be the fire inside of me
Until You and I are One (2x"s)
I don't want to talk about You
Like You're not in the room
I want to look right at You
I want to sing right to You (3x"s)
You won't relent until You have it all,
My heart is Yours (4x's)
I'll set You as a seal upon my heart
as a seal upon my arm
For there is love that is as strong as death
Jealousy demanding as the grave
And many waters cannot quench this love
Come be the fire inside of me
Come be the flame upon my heart
Come be the fire inside of me
Until You and I are One (2x"s)


Suddenly, people in the room seemed to fade into the background. My thoughts, my mind, my heart fell empty to time and the going on around me. Full of wordless expression for my God,  these words based on Solomon 8:6-7 penetrated my soul.  A moment of public worship in private expression. His grip was gravely serious.  The depth of my quiet passion laid bare before him.

A physical burning may have occurred. The flame inside felt real.  Was I the Shulamite woman singing this to her God, proclaiming He is mine, yet sensing I had no right to dare to claim His love outside of this great love I know He first gave.

For vainly don't I often boast in this love my God has for me.  He is mine. He moves on my behalf. He lived this life for me. Arrogantly, flaunting that I have His eye. 

But WORDS do this to me...

Words STOP me…words WRECK me…
words  HOLD me…words  BIND me...

And the trip home is eternally treacherous. Each day, a public private choice. Each day, ashes of my love fed with new breath of His life will turn a flame of love to a rightly consumed heart.

As the winds whirl in the cold of this winter day, a public display of worship privately cripples this heart. Its flickering flame to be ignited anew.  The flame upon my heart consumes this simple love and begs me to sing right to Him, to proclaim His knee gripping and head bowing reign in my heart. Not my flame for Him, but His freely given Fire that surrenders a heart to love like death, a reliable certainty, and in God's world the door to eternal life. A fierce love even unto death...an until death do us part love...cruel as the grave.

These WORDS a public seal upon my private heart.







Comments