ROAD CONSTRUCTION--EVEN WITHIN YOU



No matter what direction I  travel today from my home, I face road construction: going in town via 150 or highway 74.  No matter where I desire to travel within Mahomet, I encounter road face lifts and  detour signs for new school bus pick-up and drop-off routines. Yesterday's surprise was highway 74 being coned to one lane at the on-ramp.  Soon the highway between our two Mahomet exits will be totally closed in order to work on a local bridge which is projected to take a year.

I know I should be grateful for improvements. And really I am, but the unexpected on ramp congestion to highway 74 had me mentally sighing, "Man, we have construction going on everywhere don't we?" which was quickly followed by "Yes, we do and even within you."

Now, I don't talk to myself, but this response must have been bred from my slight frustration of having to closely watch the road.  I don't drive without thinking,  but common routes that don't normally require concentration now necessitate more intentional driving, attention, and  focus.

"...and even within you."

Just trying to leave the grocery store, the entrance and exit was routed to one lane requiring the sharing of that lane.  Minor problems ensued as the construction lady holding the stop sign tried get a truck's attention which didn't heed her warning sign and stop to the oncoming traffic whose turn it was to slowly proceed.

"...and even within you."

School starts tomorrow, and to alleviate major back-up new orange signs around turn have turned certain roads to one-way or only allowed to be used for two-way traffic during certain hours.

"...and even within you."

Walking through town, I realize the amount of work and time precipitates fixing roads before the final surface is laid.  They strip the road to nearly nothing and level poor areas. Some of the asphalt-rock mixture laid creates quite a drop off at the edge which could cause quite a panic to distracted drivers.

"...and even within you."
 

My poor friends and family  have to reroute because of the reconstruction of the bridge over the highway.  It will be a long year of enduring taking the long way to get to places. For some, it will be a long year of enduring many lost people creating congesting on their streets as they travel down their roads to turn around.

"...and even within you."

Again I would plead with you that I know I should be grateful (especially with Illinois' funding anything) that these improvements are taking place. And really I am, but what about:

"... and even within you."

And I really do have to closely watch the roads I travel so I am not all ramped up. Life does seem to stall with congestion at times. Plans need to be made to maintain fragile paths and remain mindful of what's going on within and around me. 


At times, rerouting forces me to forge new roads, new on-ramps and exits.  This construction detour requires warning precautions  to create  protective zones for what is being built up within my soul. Those orange barrels that seem to start long unnecessary miles before the work site suddenly make sense because change sometimes requires warnings of slow, gradual progress.   New memory and spiritual muscles are created like new traffic pattern shifts. These detours' end will at some point be signaled by flashing notifications of  a new normal.

Those friends who hang out at my work site, who some swear are taking an extended siesta in the sun or chatting over lunch,  are really maintaining and continually evaluating the vision of the site plan's road construction. They stand by as spotters protecting my days and decisions, praying for progress, and safeguarding my design by remaining visibly reflective.  They identify those existing and predictable hazards and distractions so that I don't become faint of heart and find an ambulance as my first responder.

Maintenance and construction of our roads are essential.  We cannot drive distracted in life but must intentionally focus on the paths we take because as Robert Frost understood which road we travel makes "all the difference."




"and even within YOU."

Comments

Lori Luksander said…
Cherie,
I am sandwiched in the midst of the construction chaos and I also have chaos within me. I truly thought that by the age I'm at I'd have things more figured out and be more settled and at peace within. Boy was I wrong. It's like I just can't figure out what I want to do when I grow up. What does bring me a small bit of relief is knowing that others at or around my age are going through the same trials of trying to figure some things out. It's going to take a lot of prayers to help but I do believe we can all get past this. I pray for you that you will see the wonderful person you are. Just thing how nice and smooth AND safe things are when the construction is finished.
Lori
Anonymous said…
I am behind in everything. I have been distracted by road changes.
Even from within.
Family coming unglued because they have to take a new road. Ouch
Even from within
Writing flows off the pen and onto the paper so smoothly but doesn't say what I thought it would.
Even from within
My closets need cleaning, the basement had way to much stuff, and the garden is master of mismanagement.
Even from within
Yes I am so full of something. The writers bug, the knats and the flies of every pressing late summer. It takes me hours to get a page onto the computer. I

Thanks for sharing your writing. I love reading what you have to say. Ma